If you’re reading this, it’s probably because you’ve spent the last couple of hours wondering; how do I get rid of my couch?
As leaders in Australian residential and commercial rubbish removal, Away Today are here to talk you through your options regarding how to throw away a couch using the following methods: council collection, recycling centres, removing it via a Charity Organisation or using Away Today’s leading rubbish removal and lounge disposal service.
By the end of this article, you’ll virtually be an expert on how to dispose of old couch, as well as having a good grasp on how much to throw away a couch should cost. Let's break down your first option for couch collection - your local council:
How Do I Get Rid of My Couch Using Council Collection?
Your local council will have a free Council Collection service. The frequency of which the local council will perform the rubbish collection will vary depending on where you are located.
How Long Does It Take for Old Couch Collection Using Council Collection?
Most councils will offer a rubbish collection service 2-3 times per year, however, this amount may increase in major metropolitan areas. For example, a council organised rubbish collection in a capital city where there is a higher population density is likely to be far more frequent than the rubbish collection in a rural or remote Australian town.
We’re fortunate enough in Sydney to have a local council that offers both a drop off service and a free pick up for bulky items. The drop off service is organised for unwanted household items quarterly and is available to all Sydney residents. Similarly, Sydney residents can organise to have their bulky items picked up from their home. This usually takes about 1 week but can often be delayed and will times will vary, depending on where you are located across Sydney.
How Much to Dispose of a Couch Using Council Collection?
Council collection for bulky household items such as old sofas is free.
Benefits of Using the Council for Old Couch Collection
- It’s free.
- It is possible to arrange a pick-up service through the council that will take your goods directly from your home.
Limitations of Using the Council for Old Couch Collection
- The council does not take heavy or extra-large items, so if you have an ultra-heavy or large and bulky old couch, this is probably not the best option for you.
- Spaces may be limited, so again, depending on the size and weight of your old couch, this might not work for you.
- For the pick-up service, you will have to wait until the council can become available to pick up your item. If you’re time-sensitive, it’s probably not worth the risk. Keep in mind that in more regional areas, you may need to arrange the service well in advance of the actual pick up.
- For the drop off service, you will have to arrange the transportation of your goods to the location. If you do not have a suitable vehicle, you may need to hire a more suitable vehicle for the transportation of goods, which can be costly and difficult to arrange.
How Do I Get Rid of My Couch Using a Council Recycling Centre?
More commonly known as the tip, council recycling centres are a great solution to the dilemma of how to dispose of old couch and living room furnishings. Disposing of your waste through a council recycling centre, or ‘tip’, requires the person to sort their rubbish into different types of rubbish and dispose of accordingly.
How Long Does It Take for Old Couch Collection Using a Council Recycling Centre?
That’s up to you! Because it’s your responsibility to transport the goods, you don’t need to wait for anybody to come and collect your old couch. It just depends on whether or not you have a vehicle ready that will allow you to effectively transport the goods. It will also largely depend on whether you can provide the labour – couches are often extremely heavy and difficult to transport.
If you have a vehicle that can be used to dispose of the old couch, you can take it immediately if you need it gone right away.
How Much to Throw Away a Couch Using a Council Recycling Centre?
Some councils will charge you a fee for the service of old couch disposal, whereas other councils are free. We recommend researching your local council recycling centre information to be aware of any costs associated with disposing of your rubbish.
Benefits of Using Council Recycling Centre for Old Couch Collection
- They tend to be inclusive with how many and what kinds of household items that they will accept, so it might be a good option if you have quite a few items you would like to dispose of, as well as an old couch.
Limitations of Using Council Recycling Centre for Old Couch Collection
- Some centres are limited with how much you can dump in one load.
- You will need proof of residency to dispose of your rubbish at your local tip to prevent people from coming from other locations to dump their rubbish.
- The responsibility is yours to transport the goods, which means that you may have to do some heavy lifting or sourcing of suitable transport yourself.
- We can’t speak for every single council across Australia, but research suggests that Council Recycling Centres are not a sustainable way of getting rid of used goods. Be sure to do your research for your local tip service.
How Do I Get Rid of My Couch Using A Charity Organisation?
Many Charity organisations will accept used goods, including household rubbish such as old couches and sofas.
How Long Does It Take for Old Couch Collection Using A Charity Organisation?
Because the transportation of the old couch will depend on you, the time it takes for you to be able to dispose of the old couch is in your hands. Depending on the weight, size and condition of your couch, this may prove to be quite a feat.
How Much to Dispose of a Couch Using Charity Organisation?
The cost of disposing goods using a Charity Organisation is free. However, you may be required to absorb the cost of sourcing appropriate transportation for the old sofa.
Benefits of Using A Charity Organisation for Old Couch Collection
- Your old couch might find the hands of someone who needed it more than you
- Every well-loved couch deserves to find a second home
- Your couch will find a new owner
- It’s a sustainable way of getting rid of your old couch
Limitations of Using Landfill for Old Couch Collection
- Charity organisations are known for occasionally being difficult to dispose of your goods, due to physical space restrictions. Therefore, you may not find one in your local area that can take something as large as an old couch and you may need to travel further away from home to find a charity organisation that will accept your old couch.
- It requires the couch to be in decent condition, which, if you’ve got pets or children, might not always be a feasible option.
How Do I Get Rid of My Couch Using Ridly?
Ridly are a friendly, trustworthy and reliable household rubbish removal service provider. Our friendly team provide a 24-hour all-inclusive rubbish removal service and would be more than happy to assist you in disposing of your old couch.
How Long Does It Take for Old Couch Collection Using Ridly?
We can help you with our same-day service; which is super easy to book and right on time at your door. There’s no waiting around required - we'll work on your timeline and provide reliable, speedy and prompt servicing.
How Much to Throw Away a Couch Using Ridly?
We provide realistic estimations which we calculate depending on the size of the old couch you are seeking to get rid of. Our prices start at $69 to pick up and recycle your sofa, no matter the shape or weight, today.
Benefits Of Using A Ridly For Old Couch Collection
- It doesn’t matter what size or kind of household rubbish you have; we’ll remove it for you!
- We’re the cheapest rubbish removal service in Sydney.
- You don’t have to lift a finger, just point to the couch and we will pack it into the truck for you.
- We provide great service, from the friendliness of our team members to the speed at which we collect your goods.
- We have a strong focus on sustainability, so you can be sure that your old couch is being disposed of ethically. We provide additional recycling and support the local communities with the preservation of a cleaner Sydney.
- You don’t even have to be at home when we collect the old couch! As long as the rubbish is accessible, we can take it. Our trained staff will send you a picture of the rubbish pile before and after and then you can easily pay by phone after the job is done.
Limitations of Using Ridly for Old Couch Collection
The only limitation is the cost of our service when comparing to other council-related free options. However, you can be confident that there are no hidden charges for recycling fees in our service. What’s more, paying for a professional to undertake the service means relying on someone who knows how to efficiently, effectively and safely manage your old couch removal and disposal. Unlike the council services that can be unreliable and are stretched across the city, we won't keep you waiting and we'll have the job done in no time!
So, if you’re still wondering; ‘how do I get rid of my couch?’, we think the answer is pretty clear! Call the helpful team at Ridly on 0491181130 to get a quote on couch removal today.